[Cuis-dev] relationship between Behavior, Object, and ProtoObject

Jaromir Matas mail at jaromir.net
Fri Jul 12 08:37:26 PDT 2024

On 12-Jul-24 3:30:39 PM, "Mark Volkmann via Cuis-dev"
<cuis-dev at lists.cuis.st> wrote:

>I understand that Object is a subclass of ProtoObject and that the
>`basicNew` and `new` methods are defined in Behavior. But I can't find
>a relationship between Object and Behavior
Object class superclass superclass superclass superclass   " -->
Behavior "

>, or between ProtoObject and Behavior. Can someone explain how it is
>that I can send `#new` to any object?
In general you don't send #new to _any_ object but usually just to
classes. They are instances of other classes (metaclasses) - like Object
class etc. And all metaclasses are subclassed from Class which in turn
is a subclass of Behavior.

Here's a nice description by Leandro Caniglia:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/57898036/is-it-true-that-metaclass-class-is-just-metaclass