[Cuis-dev] method lookup

Mark Volkmann r.mark.volkmann at gmail.com
Sun Jul 14 14:15:34 PDT 2024

See my replies in-line below.

On Sun, Jul 14, 2024 at 4:06 PM Stephen Travis Pope <
stephen at heaveneverywhere.com> wrote:

> See notes in-line
>
> On Jul 14, 2024, at 2:02 PM, Mark Volkmann via Cuis-dev <
> cuis-dev at lists.cuis.st> wrote:
>
> Are the following statements all true?
>
> - Instance methods are associated with a class.
> - Class methods are associated with the metaclass instance of a class.
> - Each class holds a reference to a Dictionary that is used to map message
> selectors to instance method implementations.
> - Each metaclass instance holds a reference to a Dictionary that is used
> to map message selectors to class method implementations.
> - It is not possible to view the code for a metaclass (subclass of
> Metaclass)  in a System Browser.
>
> Wrong: The browser has a class/instance switch with which you can switch
> between viewing instance and class methods.

Thanks! I momentarily forgot that the instance methods of a metaclass are
the class methods of a class.

> - The method lookup dictionaries cannot be inspected or explored.
>
> They can, but it’s not recommended

How can I do that? I don't plan to modify them directly, but I'd like to
examine them to solidify my understanding of how method lookup works.

--
R. Mark Volkmann
Object Computing, Inc.