[Cuis-dev] underscore for assignment and fileOuts

Juan Vuletich juan at cuis.st
Wed Jul 17 08:52:11 PDT 2024

Hi Mark,

On 7/17/2024 9:50 AM, Mark Volkmann via Cuis-dev wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 16, 2024 at 7:04 PM Mark Volkmann
> <r.mark.volkmann at gmail.com <mailto:r.mark.volkmann at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     When I enter something like this in a Workspace:
>
>     p _ 1.2 @ 34
>
>     to create a Point and then do a fileOut, I see that the file contains
>
>     p1 1.2 @ 3.4
>
>     I was expecting "p1" to be followed by ":=".

Yes. That's the correct behavior, and this is (was) a bug. The fix is at
GitHub in update 6523.

>     Why doesn't it change the underscore to ":="?
>     Is the character after "p1" an unprintable character that gets
>     interpreted as assignment in a fileIn?
>

> I see now that the unprintable character is FS (file separator) which
> is decimal 28 and hex 1C. But I haven't located the code where it
> translates an assignment operator to that and I do not yet understand
> why it would use that character.
> --
> R. Mark Volkmann
> Object Computing, Inc.

It is an usually unused code, that in Cuis we use for the
assignmentArrow. See #smalltalkLeftArrow and #smalltalkUpArrow. We
convert those to ':=' and '^' when saving code to files or exporting to
clipboard. In #6523 I added the conversion to Workspace saving, that was
missing.

Thanks for the report!