[Cuis-dev] Space is low

Juan Vuletich juan at cuis.st
Fri Jul 26 13:47:13 PDT 2024

It crashed when asking for a mere 20MB, on a machine that has likely no
less than 8GB of RAM. And it happened in #checkForNewScreenSize. Somehow
the OS window for Cuis is of different size than it was, maybe because
sleeping / awaking is moving it between physical displays.

It looks like this is happening many, many times in a short time. I
suggest tweaking the hacks to also record the timestamps this
#newUIProcess happens, and to count the number of times. Sending
Transcript to stdout will be handy when contents is too large for the
visible Transcript, or in case the image stops responding. You can test
those hacks by resizing the OS Cuis window. Also, start Cuis from a
command line, so you can see stdout.

If #newUIProcess is not happening many times, then (or in any case), it
is relevant to monitor the memory consumption of the Cuis process with
OS tools.

We need to learn if there are a large number of spurious allocations
(and then we need a fix to avoid that), or if a single 20MB allocation
is enough to run out of memory. If the latter, is the machine / OS
memory starved? Is Cuis taking gigabytes of ram for some other reason?

Keep us posted on your debugging activities!

Thanks,