[Cuis-dev] official operator names of ; and ::

Martin McClure martin at hand2mouse.com
Wed Jul 31 18:50:45 PDT 2024

Hi Mark,

That's an interesting question. I can't speak to "::", since I must
confess that I don't actually use Cuis and therefore don't know what it
does, but I don't consider ";" an operator at all. Operators, by
definition do some operation, and ";" serves a syntactic purpose but
does nothing at runtime.

Most things that would be operators in other languages are message sends
in Smalltalk. And message sends could be considered a form of operator,
but right now I'll just talk about operators with their own special syntax.

So what in Smalltalk /does/ qualify as a syntactic operator?
Assignment ":=" does, I think.
And return "^".
And that's all I can think of.

Much of the syntax is identifiers, literals, and message sends.

The rest could be considered delimiters of various types.

"." is a statement delimiter, or statement terminator
";" I might call a "cascaded message delimiter."
""" (the double quote) I might call a "comment delimiter"
() "subexpression delimiters," perhaps?
[] "block delimiters"
|| "variable declaration delimiters"

I'm not sure I've answered your question, but for whatever it's worth
those are my thoughts.

Regards,
-Martin