[Cuis-dev] overriding doesNotUnderstand

ken.dickey at whidbey.com ken.dickey at whidbey.com
Mon Jun 10 13:26:01 PDT 2024

On 2024-06-10 11:16, Mark Volkmann via Cuis-dev wrote:
..
> Thanks Ken! I was finally able to get my demo code working. A fileOut
> is attached.
..
> The `Map` class has an instance variable that holds a `Dictionary`.
> Sending messages to a `Map` instance accessed the `Dictionary`. This
> lets me specify `Dictionary` keys with arbitrary messages. But an issue
> I discovered is that this breaks if the message name matches an
> existing method like `name`.

Actually, method matching selector is an example of _not_ breaking. DNU
(Does Not Understand) is a bit too powerful for most cases -- kinda like
swatting flies with a sledge hammer rather than a fly swatter.  Best
used carefully!

Good to know about, however.  Sometimes the solution _is_ to use a
bigger hammer!

:)
-KenD