[Cuis-dev] reflection in Cuis

Hernán Wilkinson hernan.wilkinson at 10pines.com
Fri Jun 14 11:52:28 PDT 2024

yes, there are ways because if a tool (that is an object) can show you
that, it means that you can get the same info by finding the right message
and the right object :-)
The corollary is: if I can see it in a tool (window/morph/etc) then I can
do it by sending messages that already exist.

One of the most important skills in Smalltalk is to learn how to find
things... for example you could start looking for messages that include the
packages word in it.
If you look for implementors of #packages you will find the answer! That
was easy :-)

Another way to do it is to use the halos of a tool. Open the "Installed
Packages" windows, cmd+right click on it, click the orange halo, select the
"Inspect morph" option. Doing so you are going from a visual object to a
"model" object, to what that visual object is showing you. From there you
can navigate to find what you are looking for. For example select self in
the inspector, then look for reference of the class cmd+N, you will see how
that window is opened and that CodePackageList represent the list of
packages, look in that class how it is initialized, you will see it send
the message "updatePackageList" to self, look how it is implemented and you
will see how it looks for installed packages....
Going from visual objects to non visual ones is a really powerful tool.

I hope it helped!

Hernan.

On Fri, Jun 14, 2024 at 3:15 PM Mark Volkmann <r.mark.volkmann at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Is there a way to find these things?
>
> - all installed packages
> - all class categories
> - all classes in a given class category
> - all message categories used by a given class
> - the source code for a given method as a string or tree of AST nodes
>
> On Fri, Jun 14, 2024 at 12:48 PM Hernán Wilkinson <
> hernan.wilkinson at 10pines.com> wrote:
>
>> well, they are all kind of Collection :-) and if all you need is what
>> Collection defines as protocol is good enough. ... that is the whole idea
>> behind polymorphism. That does not mean that maybe returning an Array
>> instead of a Set is better in some message, but we should see case by case,
>> how it is used that message, etc.
>>

>> On Fri, Jun 14, 2024 at 2:32 PM Mark Volkmann via Cuis-dev <
>> cuis-dev at lists.cuis.st> wrote:
>>
>>> I've learned how to discover lots of things using reflection, but not
>>> the following. Are there methods that return these?
>>>
>>> - all installed packages
>>> - all class categories
>>> - all classes in a given class category
>>> - all message categories used by a given class
>>> - the source code for a given method as a string or tree of AST nodes
>>>
>>> There seems to be some inconsistencies in the kind of object returned by
>>> the reflection methods. I've encountered at least these so far: Array, Set,
>>> IdentitySet, and OrderCollection. I understand the distinction between
>>> these collection types, but it's not clear why the reflection methods don't
>>> all return the same kind of collection.
>>>
>>> --
>>> R. Mark Volkmann
>>> Object Computing, Inc.
>>> --
>>>

>> --
>>
>> *Hernán WilkinsonAgile Software Development, Teaching & Coaching*
>> *Phone: +54-011*-4893-2057
>> *Twitter: @HernanWilkinson*
>> *site: http://www.10Pines.com <http://www.10pines.com/>*
>> Address: Alem 896, Floor 6, Buenos Aires, Argentina
>>

> --
> R. Mark Volkmann
> Object Computing, Inc.

*Phone: +54-011*-4893-2057