[Cuis-dev] XML in Erudite

Mariano Montone marianomontone at gmail.com
Sun Jun 16 11:56:09 PDT 2024

El 16/6/24 a las 11:26, Hilaire Fernandes via Cuis-dev escribió:
> You are right we need to have support for extension, or may be
> cannibalizing existing element, i.e. programlisting, code, classname, etc.

I'm not sure what "cannibalizing" means here, a bit like "patching"?

My hope for an extensible markup language is to leverage the natural
object systems inheritance, and that that would allow extensions in a
clean way.

For instance, let's say we have a configurable <programlisting> node,
with a source type, code styler, etc. Then that could be specialized for
a particular source code language, either via class extension or
configuration.

Also, I don't see the problem with tools support. Let's say there's a
tool that converts from <programlisting> to other format. That same tool
should also work with the specialized node without being touched; it
would just ignore the specific features of the specialized node. That
would be the "worst case", and in the best case,  it would be possible
to also adapt that transformation tool for the specialized node to take
into account its specific features without too much effort.

That's my impression at least.

     Mariano