[Cuis-dev] re-tagging Cuis-Smalltalk-UI for Cuis 7.0

ken.dickey at whidbey.com ken.dickey at whidbey.com
Mon Jun 24 18:36:35 PDT 2024

On 2024-06-24 13:53, Hilaire Fernandes via Cuis-dev wrote:

> May be time to experiment a branch starting at the Cuis7.0 tag.

Hi Hilaire,

I think I am now slightly less confused about git.

My current understanding is that adding a _tag_ to a release in the way
we did it is that the tag just refers to one _commit_, NOT a _branch_.

The Cuis7.0 tag for Cuis-Smalltalk-UI actually captured a reference to
an older commit which lacked several updates.

What I did: I created a _branch_ "CuisStable7.0" from _tag_ "Cuis7.0",
then updated that branch to the latest code.

See attached CLI capture.

I also make a new code release with the tag "StableCuis7.0".

To update a non-main branch (e.g. CuisStable7.0) from current (main),
one can "cherry-pick" a particular commit.

Again, this works with a full _branch_, not a lightweight _tag_.

E.g. to update UI-Layout-Panel.pck.st, one navigates to the code (e.g.
in the main branch) and notes the commit number, 8c79e49, to the right,
by the _history_ label.  See
https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis-Smalltalk-UI/blob/main/tools/UI-Layout-Panel.pck.st

git switch CuisStable7.0
git cherry-pick 8c79e49
git push

So the above would update the current branch just that commit for
UI-Layout-Panel.pck.st.

`git branch` shows the active branch.

HTH,
-KenD