[Cuis-dev] Some discussion on mini debugger

Hilaire Fernandes hfern at free.fr
Thu May 9 03:35:57 PDT 2024

Hi Juan, folks,

In my mini-debugger for simple-human-being, there is one problematic
behavior.

 From the debugger, when an error, the user can't step over the next
instruction when using the step button. In the picture bellow the "Step"
button has the same behavior of "step over" in the traditional debugger.
I would expect Step to lead to the next line.

I was wondering if the suspended process should not be resumed once the
debugger is in place?

So I just added,  "ex resume" after the debugger is installed, during
the exception handling. And it works! Now when the user presses the
"Step" button, the debuggers step to the next line, after the error. But
now, if the user insist to step on error, this leads to recursive
debugger call.

So in that case, I decided to not resume the process, instead stop the
existing debugger and inform the user to fix error. A bit sub optimal
but user should stop stepping at this point and fix previous error. With
kids and newbies, they will put the system on its knee in an eye blink

Interested on opinion and idea.

debug

--
GNU Dr. Geo