[Cuis-dev] [Important] Additional packages for Stable (LTS) releases (was Re: Re : Re: Beta for Cuis 7.0 stable, Rolling Release is 7.1)

Juan Vuletich juan at cuis.st
Tue May 21 06:25:33 PDT 2024

Hi Hilaire, Folks,

On 5/21/2024 6:43 AM, H. Fernandes via Cuis-dev wrote:
> Maybe there is something to learn from what does the Debian community.
> Capturing the state of those packages when a new stable release comes out.
>
> Dr. Geo -- http://gnu.org/s/dr-geo

Agreed. Actually, that's what we are already doing, but only for
packages that are in the Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev repository, and are well
maintained and routinely used.

We need a repo layout to expand this to package not part of the
Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev repository. True. We will do this.

But I think it is more important to find out which '3rd party' packages
we want (and are able to!) support for a stable release. Stable releases
are meant to be high quality, and users expect them to work for a long
time. They are "LTS" releases (Long Term Support). We can only include
packages we know are in good shape, and someone has committed to provide
support for them as part of the stable release. We haven't been explicit
about this before, basically because I'll be doing that for the packages
in the Cuis7-0 repository. But I can't do that for packages I don't use
and don't know too much about how they work.

The next step needs to be to identify those packages. I know, (this is
just an example), that GeographicInformationSystems is cool. But I
haven't used it in quite some time. So unless someone else has, it
doesn't qualify as "well maintained and routinely used". Obviously, if
there is some project actually using it, the situation is completely
different. So we need that list of packages to work on.

I took a not-too-old DrGeo image I had on my machine, and looked at the
packages it has loaded. Hilaire please correct me if this is wrong or
incomplete. Some of these packages are already in the Cuis7-0 repo.
Others are specific to DrGeo. I'm not listing any of them in what follows.

Many packages are in other (3rd party) repos in the Cuis-Smalltalk
organization. So, these are the repos / packages we need to work on:
- Numerics / 'LinearAlgebra'
- SVG / 'SVG'
- Parsers / 'PetitParser'
- Erudite /
     'PetitParserBinding'
     'Erudite'
- Cuis-Smalltalk-UI /
     'UI-Click-Select'
     'UI-Core'
     'UI-Entry'
     'UI-Panel'
     'UI-Preference'
     'UI-Widgets'

I'll support Numerics / 'LinearAlgebra' and SVG / 'SVG' under the repo
structure we decide for "3rd party packages for Cuis Stable Releases". I
think they are mature and stable, and haven't had issues in a long time.

So, Hilaire and Ken, do you think that the Cuis-Smalltalk-UI packages
are stable enough to be in a stable release with long term support? If
needed, will you give support for them, not only for the current Rolling
Release, but also for Stable Releases? These will be different package
files, and most likely on separate repos.

Mariano, do you think PetitParser and Erudite are stable enough to be in
a stable release with long term support? If needed, will you give
support for them, not only for the current Rolling Release, but also for
Stable Releases? These will be different package files, and most likely
on separate repos.

I apologize for asking bluntly, but we need to be confident, before
stamping "LongTermSupport'd" on any packages.

We can also do the same for the packages listed by Ken. In particular I
think that Numerics, Cuis-Smalltalk-Regex, Measures and Calendars are
pretty solid. Not really sure about Database-Support,
GeographicInformationSystems, StyledTextEditor, Cuis-Smalltalk-Tools,
but if anyone volunteers to say they are stable enough, and to support
them for Stable Releases if needed, they could be included too. Same
goes for any other packages not listed yet (feel free to answer with
additional suggestions, especially if you use them and volunteer to take
care of them).

Thanks!