[Cuis-dev] [Important] Additional packages for Stable (LTS) releases (was Re: Re : Re: Beta for Cuis 7.0 stable, Rolling Release is 7.1)

Juan Vuletich juan at cuis.st
Sat May 25 09:27:15 PDT 2024

Hi Folks,

On 5/23/2024 4:31 PM, Hilaire Fernandes via Cuis-dev wrote:

> Le 22/05/2024 à 19:28, ken.dickey at whidbey.com a écrit :
>> Well, Cuis7-0 is supposed to be Stable and Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev,
>> Current, will keep changing.
>>
>> My thought was that DrGeo-Stable would be released with Cuis-Stable
>> and DrGeo-Current (unreleased) would be done against Cuis-Current.
> My initial idea was to stick to a Cuis-stable to produce DrGeo
> release, but it was unpractical.

The releases of DrGeo you give to your users should ideally be made with
the latest Cuis Stable release at that time. That makes sense and
everybody agrees with that. The point Ken is making is that it also
makes sense to keep developing DrGeo new features and enhancements not
on the stable release, but on the current Cuis rolling release. This
will keep DrGeo updated as Cuis evolves, and will also let you take
advantage of new Cuis enhancements. Of course, Hilaire, it is your call.
Ken is making a suggestion, and it is a good one in my view.

>> If you are making a Release of DrGeo against Cuis-Current, I would
>> expect you to have to copy/freeze any packages you use with the DrGeo
>> release, including the Cuis-Current base.
>
> Not really, I just use the latest packages I need, which are supposed
> to be more or less compatible with current.

Here, I agree with you Hilaire. If you're working on Cuis rolling
release, you'd use the latest of everything. Cuis, and 3rd party packages.

> The difficulty is when using Cuis-Stable to develop DrGeo or any
> complex application, it needs versions of third party packages known
> to work with Cuis-Stable, and those may not be latest version
>
> => A common policy may be useful, otherwise CuisStable will be useful
> only for applications not depending on third party packages (the one
> outside the Cuis-Smalltalk organisation that Juan capture).

Of course. All this thread is about finding a good way to do that.