[Cuis-dev] Pen error

Juan Vuletich juan at cuis.st
Tue Oct 8 13:08:06 PDT 2024

Hi Mark,

On 10/5/2024 6:01 PM, Mark Volkmann via Cuis-dev wrote:
> The following example code found in a comment in the Pen method
> print:withFont: results in the error MessageNotUnderstood:
> TrueTypeFont>>glyphAt:
>
> Display restoreAfter: [
>     Pen new squareNib: 2;
>         color: Color red;
>         turn: 45;
>         print: 'The owl and the pussycat went to sea
> in a beautiful pea green boat.'
>         withFont: FontFamily defaultFamilyAndPointSize
> ]
>
> To install the Pen class, clone the
> https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Morphic repository and evaluate
> Feature require: 'Pen'.
>
> Do I need to use a non-TrueType font in order for this to work?
>
> --
> R. Mark Volkmann
> Object Computing, Inc.

That code could be made to work again. Some investigation is required,
though.

However I'm strongly about that. This points to a real problem we need
to address. The lineage Smalltalk-76 -> Smalltalk-80 -> Squeak -> Cuis
comprises almost 50 years. A lot of code has been written! Some things
have been made obsolete by much better options. This is one of them.
VectorGraphics offers way more flexibility and unbelievable better
quality graphics.

We need to classify packages in, perhaps, these categories:
1 - Abandoned.
2 - Maintained, but only for historical value. Use beyond that is not
recommended.
3 - Somewhat maintained. Bitrot possible, and usually fixed in no more
than a couple of months. If bugs are reported, someone fixes them in no
more than a few weeks.
4 - Maintained. Someone or several people act as maintainers. They
regularly use it and problems are detected and fixed quickly. If a bug
is reported, it is acknowledged in no more that a few days, and fixed in
no more than a week or two.

The Pen package would be in category 1, unless someone volunteers to
maintain (and fix!) it. In any case, it would never go beyond 2, unless
someone rewrites it to use Vector Graphics.

These categories for asses