[Cuis-dev] package, subpackage and changes

Juan Vuletich juan at cuis.st
Sun Oct 4 05:48:16 PDT 2026


Hi Seba,

Having a package name be a prefix of another package name doesn't work. 
We'd give users some meaningful error message. Or see if we can make it 
actually work!

The easiest solution is to use disjoint package names. That's why we 
have things like 'JSON' and 'Tests-JSON' (and not 'JSON-Tests' that 
makes more sense).

We need to improve here.

Thanks,

On 2026-10-03 10:57 AM, Seba via Cuis-dev wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I extended the firmata package and named the packages 
> firmata-<extension>.
>
> Now when I install one of the extension packages the mein firmata 
> package gets 'changed', but with no code differences.
>
> If I rename the main package to firmata-core everything is fine and 
> the package ist unchanged when I add an extension package.
>
> Is that the intended behavior? I would expect that the package is not 
> changed when there are no changes. Is it complex to change the 
> behavior that way?
>
> For now I'm not that deep into Cuis code to see where the magic 
> happens, so I ask here ;)
>
>
> Cheers,
>
>   Sebastian
>
-- 
Juan Vuletich
www.cuis.st
github.com/jvuletich
researchgate.net/profile/Juan-Vuletich
independent.academia.edu/JuanVuletich
patents.justia.com/inventor/juan-manuel-vuletich



More information about the Cuis-dev mailing list