[Cuis-dev] [IMPROV] Unicode Input in Editor

H. Hirzel hannes.hirzel at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 12:02:37 PDT 2023

Hi Gerald

Thank you for checking the Unicode input in Cuis. In the meantime I also
installed the latest version of Cuis. So

\+161<space>

works fine for Unicode input.

You asked for my IPA requirements. I have started preparing a list and will
post it when ready. It will also include characters from the Latin Extended
area for orthography purposes for many languages.

The <backslash> key acts as a compose character in this case[1].
We could also use other compose keys in addition.
For example after a semicolon in nearly all cases there will be a space. So
<semicolon><ASCII character> gives 25 more options. A comma is also a
candidate.  <comma><c> could be used for c cedilla. Even the letter q may
serve this purpose as with only very few exceptions there will always be a
'u' following it.

I discovered
   UnicodeCodePoint namedCharactersMap

I did
UnicodeCodePoint namedCharactersMap at: #openo put: $ɔ
UnicodeCodePoint namedCharactersMap at: #o put: $ɔ

this now allows me to have a new combinartion
\openo<space>      The space is still necessary and it needs to followed by
a backspace.
\o

So this is easily extendable.

You gave the link
https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev/commit/2c52852e716348f6350a461b0081ebe59971674d
which contains method
Editor>> normalCharacter: aKeyboardEvent

I pasted the code into DrGro 23.06 and it made it work! So it seems that
all the input logic is contained in this method and the data is in the
dictionary UnicodeCodePoint namedCharactersMap. Is this so?

I am yet to understand the full logic of this #normalCharacter: method. The
method also seem to deal with diacritical marks [2] but I did not manage to
add diacritical marks on top of vowels.

Kind regards
Hannes

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compose_key
[2] Of main interest are acute, gravis, diaresis (trema) e.g. for Umlaut in
German and also for writing in French, and nasalization. This is on a UK or
US keyboard. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acute_accent gives a list of
some languages using it.