[Cuis-dev] Cuis on SqueakJS

Juan Vuletich juan at cuis.st
Fri Oct 27 13:31:35 PDT 2023

Hi Vanessa,

On 10/27/2023 2:36 AM, Vanessa Freudenberg via Cuis-dev wrote:
> Hi Juan,
>
> primitive 184 (Object>>pin) was missing. I added that to the VM as a
> no-op answering true and now it works.

Please don't. Pin is assumed to answer whether the the object was
already pinned or not, and the primitive is assumed to pin/unpin as
requested if it doesn't fail. Please keep the primitive failing if
pinning is not supported. I just pushed an update to handle that
situation. Now #pin and #unpin silently answer false if the primitive
fails, so calling code can be aware of the situation.

> There is no HostWindowPlugin, that's why there is an error when
> resizing the window.

Another update just pushed for that.

> Spur Cuis is slower than necessary because there is a full GC
> in VectorEngineDrawer>>pvtSetForm:. So it often collects garbage
> manually which is slow (you can see that if you open the JS console).

Yes. I just pushed an update to just unpin the old objects, and removed
the GC. It shouldn't be needed at all.

> This link uses a spur image:
>
> https://tinyurl.com/cuis6053spur
>
> And btw there's actually a bug in th v3 image: Behavior>>identityHash
> should be deleted, since in v3 there is no primitive 175.

Oh, good catch! Just fixed that too.

> Vanessa

Thank you so much for taking the time to carefully test Cuis on
SqueakJS. Hopefully no special hacks in the VM will be needed to run Cuis.