[Cuis-dev] SqueakComptibilityPackage for 6.2

Juan Vuletich juan at cuis.st
Tue Feb 27 04:27:01 PST 2024

Hi Hilaire,

On 2/24/2024 6:50 PM, Hilaire Fernandes via Cuis-dev wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> It seems we have compatibilities issue with the SqueakCompatibility
> package, only found in Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev, with the stable release 6.2.
>
> When installed on a 6.2 release, it freezes the image, and eventually
> eat all the RAM of the host, in Linux, then it freezes the host too.
>
> I suggest more packages should be shipped with the stable release,
> including Gettext ans System-locales.
>
> As for now, I can't install anymore DrGeo on Cuis6.2
>
> Thanks
>
> Hilaire
>
> --
> GNU Dr. Geo
> http://gnu.org/s/dr-geo/
> http://gnu-drgeo.blogspot.com/

Stable releases should only include well tested and reviewed code.
That's why 6.2 stable has only a small set of packages. I'm afraid that
progress here could be slow. Maybe we still need to find ways to handle
"community supported code". The codebase of Cuis + all the packages is
too large for me to audit it. (That's of course the whole point of
having a small image).

What I suggest is taking not the latest commit of SqueakCompatibility
and such packages, but the last commit before the release was done. For
SqueakCompatibility it would be
https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev/commit/fcbe2ec8d5918b4505b136f484fa1855679f222d

Still, why do you need SqueakCompatibility? DrGeo is right now Cuis
based. I think it would be best not to depend on any Squeak idiom.

Best,