[Cuis-dev] [RFC] Sunsetting v3 image format, merging Character and UnicodeCodePoint, New Directory Structure for Cuis

Juan Vuletich juan at cuis.st
Wed Jan 3 13:25:26 PST 2024

Hi Folks,

The subject says it all.

I want to simplify some code in the image by unifying Character and
UnicodeCodePoint. But this can not be done for the old v3 image format,
as it can't handle immediate Characters and is therefore limited to 256
distict Characters. Additionally, OpenSmalltalk has shifted to Spur only
quite some time ago, as Squeak and Pharo have also done.

So, I'm planning on removing the v3 image from the
https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev repo soon. If
anybody has some special need for v3 images, let's discuss them.

On an unrelated topic, the new directory structure for
https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis6-2 will also be used for
https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev. If your specific
workflow depends on the current directory structure, you may need to
adapt it. Please take a look at 6.2, and see how it could affect you.

These changes allow either for simplification of code, or to improve the
experience, especially for newcomers and casual users. I believe they
are worth the possible nuisances.