[Cuis-dev] [RFC] Sunsetting v3 image format, merging Character and UnicodeCodePoint, New Directory Structure for Cuis

Gerald Klix cuis.01 at klix.ch
Thu Jan 4 05:29:58 PST 2024

Hi Juan,

I do not see any possible harm in retiring this old image format.
I never used it for Haver,.

I don't know of any OSes were only the old VM version is available,
I don't know of any significant advantages of the V3 image format and
I can't conceive any other (important) point in favor of this format.

There are however some small space savings possible,
which are eliminated by compression support (and maybe deduplication)
at the file system level:

bear at speedy ~/g/C/Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev (master)> ll -h *.image
-rwxr-xr-x 1 bear bear 17M Dec 30 13:39 Cuis6.3-6156-32.image*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 bear bear 16M Dec 30 13:39 Cuis6.3-6156-v3.image*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 bear bear 20M Dec 30 13:39 Cuis6.3-6156.image*
bear at speedy ~/g/C/Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev (master)> du -h *image
6.8M    Cuis6.3-6156-32.image
6.8M    Cuis6.3-6156-v3.image
7.3M    Cuis6.3-6156.image

So please go ahead!