[Cuis-dev] On complexity and growing system Was: SqueakComptibilityPackage for 6.2

Hilaire Fernandes hfern at free.fr
Sun Mar 3 04:39:36 PST 2024

Hi Juan,

Indeed you can't maintain all Cuis packages existing around, but only
the ones you think are core ones. The number of Cuis packages will
likely continue to grow in the future, even when only considering
package as framework or library. The community should take care of these
packages.

Nevertheless, what could be done is to organize how the community keeps
up to date packages for a given Cuis stable release. For example, should
we have dedicated repository matching a Cuis release to copy there
packages tested, and if necessary patched,  as compatible with the given
Cuis release. This is just one unorganized though.

IMHO, this is one point that need to be sorted out. It could both reduce
your burden and help the community to contribute.

With software evolution, packages no put under the scrutiny of the
community, will still be around but without the warranty to be still
working with a given stable Cuis release. Some packages, unused, will
just silently die. But complexity will be kept out of Cuis.

About system complexity, there was an interesting thread on the Squeak
Mailing a few years ago. I found it accidentally, I was searching for
something completely different (Cuis Affine transformation), which I did
not find.

https://lists.squeakfoundation.org/archives/list/squeak-dev@lists.squeakfoundation.org/thread/EIAR5YKA2NARJSQJCDSIBLRZP7T72QCO/#XGCRSBZCNIF3CTVJD5A2DTXZO3VKUVW5

The discussion spanned over several months

Hilaire

--
GNU Dr. Geo
http://gnu.org/s/dr-geo/