[Cuis-dev] On complexity and growing system Was: SqueakComptibilityPackage for 6.2

ken.dickey at whidbey.com ken.dickey at whidbey.com
Sun Mar 3 07:40:20 PST 2024

On 2024-03-03 04:39, Hilaire Fernandes via Cuis-dev wrote:

> .. what could be done is to organize how the community keeps up to date
> packages for a given Cuis stable release. For example, should we have
> dedicated repository matching a Cuis release to copy there packages
> tested, and if necessary patched,  as compatible with the given Cuis
> release. T

Note that Packages can specify lot only the minimum release number but
the maximum as well.

E.g. we could have a contributed, MaintainedPackages directory
associated to a particular release (e.g. 6.2) for packages with the same
names as cuttent/rolling (e.g. 6.3).  The 6.2 packages would have the
maximum set and the 6.3 have the base as 6.3 but no maximum.

As we get more package "splits" (maintained stable vs current), we might
have to adjust to a more refined "search local" strategy.

I suspect a MaintainedPackages directory as part of a stable repo will
just work for most use cases,

$0.02,
-KenD