[Cuis-dev] Rename class not logging to user changes

Hernan Wilkinson hernan.wilkinson at 10pines.com
Fri Jul 5 06:11:50 PDT 2019

Hi Eric,
 yeap, class rename is not being logged ... a new type of change should be
created for that. If fact, it would be great to record all type of
refactorings as refactorings instead of only the changes composed by the
refactoring.

 Regarding the new change record, it should be a class rename type, not a
deletion and creation of the new one because that does not happen when
doing a class rename.
 There is an important question to answer: when loading the change record,
should it rename the references too or should only do it for those that are
recorded? ... if all the changes are loaded then the later should be
applied but if not? I think the best option is to only rename the class and
then let the other changes change the reference. (I hope this is
understandable :-) )

Hernan.

On Fri, Jul 5, 2019 at 2:04 AM Eric Brandwein via Cuis-dev <
cuis-dev at lists.cuis.st> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Today Cuis broke because I was messing with Morphs, and I had to close the
> image. Unfortunately, I hadn't saved my changes, so to recover them I had
> to rely on the .user.changes file. I opened up the image again, and it
> asked me to recover changes. I selected to automatically recover them, and
> a strange error occurred: it told me that UndefinedObject didn't understand
> #removeSelector:. Digging through the ChangeList, I noticed something: the
> class renames were nowhere to be seen. So, what was happening is that there
> were some ChangeListElements that removed selectors from classes that
> didn't exist because they had the old names from before I renamed them.
>
> All this story is to point out that bug: the class rename isn't logging to
> the changes file. And I'm not really sure how to solve it quickly and
> cleanly; there isn't a ClassRenameChangeRecord class like there's a
> ClassDeletionChangeRecord, so either there should be a new kind of
> ChangeList record to log class renames or we should log the deletion of the
> class and the subsequent adding of all the methods that were previously in
> that class to the class with the new name. What do you think?
>
> Cheers,
> Eric

*Phone: +54-011*-4893-2057
*Twitter: @HernanWilkinson*