[Cuis-dev] Converting Tonel packages

Phil B pbpublist at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 10:18:40 PDT 2019

On Wed, Jul 31, 2019 at 9:54 AM Juan Vuletich via Cuis-dev <
cuis-dev at lists.cuis.st> wrote:

> pufff.
>
> I don't want to even think of how github package diff would look like.
>
> At least they could use xxx.filetree.st and xxx.tonel.st (like we use
> xxx.pck.st and xxx.cs.st). Now it is impossible for tools to tell
> whether they are dealing wiht filetree, tonel, or some other smalltalk
> format...

They use .properties files to convey that information.  Actually I think
the entire point of these 'exploded' package formats was to make raw
method-level diffs pretty... at the cost of making the overall package
format quite ugly/cumbersome.   Every time I've had to look at a repo using
those formats, I'm happy you went the direction you did with package
files.  You prioritized the people using the package files, they continue
to prioritize the tools that manipulate them.