[Cuis-dev] OpenGL

Phil B pbpublist at gmail.com
Sat May 25 20:13:44 PDT 2019

Shaping,

On Sat, May 25, 2019 at 9:27 PM Shaping via Cuis-dev <cuis-dev at lists.cuis.st>
wrote:

> See also https://github.com/pbella/Cuis-OpenGL .
>

> OpenGL.pck.st loads.
>
> Needed FFI.pck.st does not finish loaded, giving error:
>
> ‘ShortRunArray cannot be found in list’, where the list is currently:
>

> an OrderedCollection(#Delay #DisplayScreen #Cursor #InputSensor
> #ProcessorScheduler #WeakArray #ExternalObject #ExtendedClipboardInterface
> #SoundBuffer #UUIDGenerator #ThisOSProcess #OpenGL)
>

> and ShortRunArray is in the image.

I just tried it and it still loads in the latest 3770 image.  You need to
load in sequence: FFI (from the main Cuis repo Packages/System directory),
3DTransform (from the OpenGL repo link you used) and finally OpenGL (also
from the OpenGL repo.)

> Anyone using the OpenGL stuff regularly?

I did that port over a decade ago and used it until about 5-ish years ago.
When I last used it, the core OpenGL stuff worked fine but the code was
getting a bit crusty:

1)  I originally pulled it from a Croquet image back before anyone would
admit to having OpenGL support in Squeak (this was 2009 or so) and ported
it back to Squeak then later to Cuis.  So the code is quite old.

2) As a result of the bit-rot due to 1, it only supports OpenGL 1.x I think
(along with some early VBO and shader extensions) and immediate mode
rendering.

3) It *might* need some minor modifications to run on 64-bit images... I
don't remember if the FFI package updates handled everything or not on that
front.

So it's a good starting point showing how to do OpenGL via FFI, but
probably not much more than just a starting point these days. (i.e. I'm not
actively working with/on that code anymore)

> Shaping

Phil