[Cuis-dev] OpenGL

Shaping shaping at uurda.org
Mon May 27 00:13:28 PDT 2019

I just tried it and it still loads in the latest 3770 image.  You need to load in sequence: FFI (from the main Cuis repo Packages/System directory),  3DTransform (from the OpenGL repo link you used) and finally OpenGL (also from the OpenGL repo.)

Okay.

Do we have a way to manage package dependencies in Cuis?  Getting the order right could become very time-consuming.

 Anyone using the OpenGL stuff regularly?

I did that port over a decade ago and used it until about 5-ish years ago.  When I last used it, the core OpenGL stuff worked fine but the code was getting a bit crusty:

1)  I originally pulled it from a Croquet image back before anyone would admit to having OpenGL support in Squeak (this was 2009 or so) and ported it back to Squeak then later to Cuis.  So the code is quite old.

2) As a result of the bit-rot due to 1, it only supports OpenGL 1.x I think (along with some early VBO and shader extensions) and immediate mode rendering.

3) It *might* need some minor modifications to run on 64-bit images... I don't remember if the FFI package updates handled everything or not on that front.

So it's a good starting point showing how to do OpenGL via FFI, but probably not much more than just a starting point these days. (i.e. I'm not actively working with/on that code anymore)

Right.  Thanks for the background.

I have my own framework in VW.  It’s very specialized, and I don’t really want to port it.   Was hoping to find something shader-based and working.  Is Woden too fat for Cuis?  Will it be ported/streamlined?  How does the Cuis community determine what, if any, of Pharo gets ported, and what sorts of changes/minimalizings must happen if something is ported?

Along the same line, must we do without buttons with icons in the debugger?

Shaping