[Cuis-dev] [Integrated] Should we rename these? Re: support for variable indexable subclasses of 8/16/32/64 bits

Andres Valloud ten at smallinteger.com
Sun May 26 22:27:31 PDT 2019

Why should accessing bytes differently need copying the bytes into a
different class?  The bytes won't change, no?

VW has a useful abstraction for this, the class UninterpretedBytes.
While at first similar to a regular ByteArray, UninterpretedBytes
implements things like shortAt:, doubleAt:put: and so on.  Now you need
just one class instead of n.

If those selectors could be named after standard types of fixed length
too (like 'uintptr_t'), then great because e.g. nobody says what the
size of a C 'long' is.