[Cuis-dev] [Ann] Serialization of BlockClosures

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Thu Oct 3 04:24:46 PDT 2019

Hi Phil,

species
"Answer the preferred class for reconstructing the receiver.  For example,
     collections create new collections whenever enumeration messages
such as
     collect: or select: are invoked.  The new kind of collection is
determined by
     the species of the original collection.  Species and class are not
always the
     same.  For example, the species of Interval is Array."

On 10/2/2019 10:32 PM, Phil B wrote:

> Fair point: the first line in the comment and the last seem
> contradictory.  So which one wins? (The 'species and class are not
> always the same' part is consistent with the first line, the
> particular example that follows doesn't seem to be)
>
>     So it seems that #species tries to be too many different things at
>     once...
>

> I would agree with that.  That's why I'm pressing the issue... I'd
> like us to at least agree what it means in Cuis and use it
> consistently.  Having it mean X except when it doesn't isn't terribly
> useful.  Having it mean X, Y or Z (which are mutually exclusive) is
> even worse.

I agree. That very comment is already contradictory. As this very thread
shows, different people have understood it differently. And given that
this message seems to be quite old, it might be present in other
dialects (Squeak derived or not), and in ANSI Smalltalk. I'm not sure
there's much we can do, besides trying not to break too much code...