[Cuis-dev] [Ann] Serialization of BlockClosures

Hernan Wilkinson hernan.wilkinson at 10pines.com
Thu Oct 3 05:07:06 PDT 2019

Hi,
 I always had the idea that #species were only for collections as Juan
says, that it was defined to solve the problem it solves in the collection
hierarchy... it is  odd to mee to see it defined in Object...
 It looks to me that it is those kind of indirections that you only use it
when it is needed.

 My two cents :-)

 Bye!
 Hernan.

On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 8:25 AM Juan Vuletich via Cuis-dev <
cuis-dev at lists.cuis.st> wrote:

> Hi Phil,
>
> species
> "Answer the preferred class for reconstructing the receiver.  For example,
>     collections create new collections whenever enumeration messages such
> as
>     collect: or select: are invoked.  The new kind of collection is
> determined by
>     the species of the original collection.  Species and class are not
> always the
>     same.  For example, the species of Interval is Array."
>
> On 10/2/2019 10:32 PM, Phil B wrote:

> Fair point: the first line in the comment and the last seem
> contradictory.  So which one wins? (The 'species and class are not always
> the same' part is consistent with the first line, the particular example
> that follows doesn't seem to be)
>

>> So it seems that #species tries to be too many different things at once...
>>

> I would agree with that.  That's why I'm pressing the issue... I'd like us
> to at least agree what it means in Cuis and use it consistently.  Having it
> mean X except when it doesn't isn't terribly useful.  Having it mean X, Y
> or Z (which are mutually exclusive) is even worse.
>

> I agree. That very comment is already contradictory. As this very thread
> shows, different people have understood it differently. And given that this
> message seems to be quite old, it might be present in other dialects
> (Squeak derived or not), and in ANSI Smalltalk. I'm not sure there's much
> we can do, besides trying not to break too much code...
>
> --
> Juan Vuletichwww.cuis-smalltalk.orghttps://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis-Smalltalk-Devhttps://github.com/jvuletichhttps://www.linkedin.com/in/juan-vuletich-75611b3
> @JuanVuletich

*Phone: +54-011*-4893-2057