[Cuis-dev] Replacing a creative writing program

Hernan Wilkinson hernan.wilkinson at 10pines.com
Mon Oct 14 16:40:48 PDT 2019

Have you try with the latest VM? I do not have Catalina to try it out. The
latest VM is in https://bintray.com/opensmalltalk/vm/cog/201910110209#files
It is not the latest stable release, but you can give it a try

Cheers

On Mon, Oct 14, 2019 at 7:01 PM Casey Ransberger via Cuis-dev <
cuis-dev at lists.cuis.st> wrote:

> I’ve been using a commercial Mac app called Scrivener to do creative
> writing for a few years. It has a lot of powerful features that I don’t
> use, but one that I use constantly: it lets me write a “scene” as a thing
> in itself, which it can represent as an index card on a cork board. This
> allows me to write out of order, and then play with my narrative structure
> by re-arranging the index cards.
>
> Unfortunately, macOS 10.15 went and killed 32-bit apps. The good news is
> that I can get my words out of the file without parsing some strange binary
> file format, and I’ve toyed with the idea of reproducing the index card
> behavior in Smalltalk for some time (it’s a popular feature, found as well
> in other apps like StoryMill, FinalDraft, etc.)
>
> So I went to fire up a Smalltalk image, and surprise! I need a new VM.
> Where should I go to procure a Cuis-compatible VM that will work on a
> Catalina Mac?
>
> Next question. Did styled text editor ever get an open source release? Can
> it save/load RTF files?
>
> I’ve long wanted to do more mundane day-to-day stuff from inside a
> Smalltalk image. The creative writing program seems almost like low-hanging
> fruit, especially since I want something convenient for hammering out a
> first draft, and don’t need any tools for the “finishing” part of the
> process.
>
> —Casey

*Phone: +54-011*-4893-2057
*Twitter: @HernanWilkinson*