[Cuis-dev] Replacing a creative writing program

Phil B pbpublist at gmail.com
Mon Oct 14 20:45:52 PDT 2019

Casey,

On Mon, Oct 14, 2019 at 6:01 PM Casey Ransberger via Cuis-dev <
cuis-dev at lists.cuis.st> wrote:

> So I went to fire up a Smalltalk image, and surprise! I need a new VM.
> Where should I go to procure a Cuis-compatible VM that will work on a
> Catalina Mac?

I *think* I remember reading that as long as you have a 64-bit VM, it can
be made to work.  (something about forcing OS X to ignore the missing
notary or some such thing)  If you want a minimum of fuss, I'd suggest
trying a Squeak 5.2 or 5.3 VM.  Cuis works with the Squeak line
Cog/Spur/Stack VMs so you can pick and choose if you want. (but not the
Pharo VM as it will only work to a degree for Cuis... if at all these days)

As Hernan suggested, you can also get an up-to-the-minute VM from bintray.
However, they can be hit and miss (i.e. there may be bugs being worked out,
missing/broken plugins etc.) depending on which build you download.

https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/StyledTextEditor

> —Casey

Hope that helps,
Phil