[Cuis-dev] Runtime linter

Phil B pbpublist at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 22:14:41 PDT 2019

Something that has been bugging me for a while is how we use
Transcript/errors to log/notify about non-error types of things that are
really more runtime lint types of issues.  I've been finding that they
occur often enough to spam the Transcript and/or be annoying as errors.

So I've taken an initial stab at an image linter idea which would allow us
to capture the details about things we need to fix and (optionally) notify
the user of in an unobtrusive way.  The idea is that there are  things we
need to collection information about but only a subset of those that users
actually care about in realtime.  The user can then tweak whether they will
see on screen warnings, and if so if they will see them only once, and
above what priority level they want to see.

MyClass shows the basic idea though the image will start populating the
font deprecation warnings right away (I've re-enabled all of them just to
show that we could do that without it being overwhelming.  You can get to
the useful data via 'Smalltalk lint') There is one bug I've noticed so far:
the non-local return notification doesn't return the value from the
exception block.  Anyway, I just wanted to show you what I've got so far to
see if you think it's worth pursuing.

Thanks,
Phil