[Cuis-dev] Runtime linter

Hernan Wilkinson hernan.wilkinson at 10pines.com
Fri Oct 18 11:12:58 PDT 2019

Hi Phil!
 interesting idea. I agree that we need a better way to show those kind of
message.
 I have two comments on what you sent:
1) This is a functional/user experience comment: I think the current idea
is not to interfere with the programmers flow of work... You proposal
signals an exception and the debuggers shows up stoping the execution and
taking the user out of context. I think this kind of messages should not
bother the programmer that much.
2) This is an implementation comment: To check if it is the first time you
are saving the method's printString. If the method or class get renamed it
will be recognized as first time even though it is not... not a big deal
and I'm not sure it can be solved.

I think the best solution would be to show this lint messages in the
browser and not when executing code.
For example, I would like to see in the browser that a message I'm sending
is deprecated (not really possible unless you use Live Typing). The same
for a non local return in an exc. handler (that is doable).
The current solution that shows that in the transcript is a good compromise.

Why you do not like those messages to be shown in the transcript? Is it
because you are using it to show other things or because it is showing too
many messages?

Cheers!
Hernan.

On Fri, Oct 18, 2019 at 2:15 AM Phil B via Cuis-dev <cuis-dev at lists.cuis.st>
wrote:

> Something that has been bugging me for a while is how we use
> Transcript/errors to log/notify about non-error types of things that are
> really more runtime lint types of issues.  I've been finding that they
> occur often enough to spam the Transcript and/or be annoying as errors.
>
> So I've taken an initial stab at an image linter idea which would allow us
> to capture the details about things we need to fix and (optionally) notify
> the user of in an unobtrusive way.  The idea is that there are  things we
> need to collection information about but only a subset of those that users
> actually care about in realtime.  The user can then tweak whether they will
> see on screen warnings, and if so if they will see them only once, and
> above what priority level they want to see.
>
> MyClass shows the basic idea though the image will start populating the
> font deprecation warnings right away (I've re-enabled all of them just to
> show that we could do that without it being overwhelming.  You can get to
> the useful data via 'Smalltalk lint') There is one bug I've noticed so far:
> the non-local return notification doesn't return the value from the
> exception block.  Anyway, I just wanted to show you what I've got so far to
> see if you think it's worth pursuing.
>
> Thanks,
> Phil

*Phone: +54-011*-4893-2057