[Cuis-dev] History behind tempX locals?

Phil B pbpublist at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 14:58:33 PDT 2019

Philip,

On Mon, Sep 23, 2019 at 4:21 PM Philip Bernhart <philip.bernhart at posteo.de>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Phil B <pbpublist at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > What methods are you referring to?  I just did an image search for
> 'temp1'
> > and found nothing.  Usually when you see the tempX variable names it's
> > because the sources/changes file(s) can't be found so the image has to
> > reverse engineer the source by decompiling the method.
>
> I know that. I wrote the exact same thing in my initial mail.

No, that's not what you wrote in your initial mail.  You were wondering
when/how the sources to the methods you were seeing were lost.  I was
stating that this is usually indicative of your sources/changes files not
being found rather than the file being found but the source not being
contained in it.  Similar symptoms, not the same root cause.  It is
possible to have your sources/changes files present and still have missing
method source code.

> > So if there are
> > methods in the image that you are seeing this on, with sources/changes
> > files present, at some point in the past we lost the source for it and
> > should fix it/them.
>
> I was curious if someone knew when that exactly happened.

Unless you could provide specific examples (which I opened my response
asking for and notice again I reference the sources/changes files) it
didn't happen which I was trying to gently explain what was the likely case.

> Anyway.. I noticed that it was the missing Cuis5V.sources file.
> I normally store my changes and image files in a different directory
> than the Cuis project-github-checkout. I forgot that the CuisV5.sources
> should also be present in the same directory as the image. So that
> it can be viewed.

Right, that's the sources file that I twice referenced earlier in my
reply.  It's not a big deal as pretty much all of us have run into this
issue at least once or twice while we were learning the ins and outs of
Squeak dialects.  Sure, I could have directly blurted out my first reaction
(i.e. your sources/changes file is missing) and left it there, but that
would probably have come across as accusatory or worse.  Also, in the event
you were seeing some sort of other issue it might have discouraged you from
following up with more details which wouldn't help anyone.  So I attempted
to both provide a pointer to what I believed your issue was (which it
turned out to be) while also leaving the door open to something else going
on (in case it wasn't.)

I'm calling you out on this because this isn't the first time you have been
dismissive of an answer that addressed the question/issue you raised.  I
don't have a problem with you telling me if an answer I give to a question
is incorrect or unhelpful but I can't see how that's even remotely the case
here.  Please take a bit more time to more carefully read and consider

Phil