[Cuis-dev] Layout Problem

Dan Norton dnorton at mindspring.com
Thu Apr 30 17:56:48 PDT 2020

On Thu, 30 Apr 2020 17:22:10 -0300
Juan Vuletich via Cuis-dev <cuis-dev at lists.cuis.st> wrote:

> Hi Dan, Folks,
>
> On 4/30/2020 2:47 PM, Dan Norton via Cuis-dev wrote:
> > Some time in recent months changes to Morphic have impacted the
> > Construction game and other board games that I have in progress. Any
> > StringMorph content, other than an empty string, causes the owner to
> > expand horizontally. To see the problem, install Construction from
> > the Games repo and do:
> >
> > Construction start in a workspace or from the New Morphs menu.
> >
> > The colored rectangles (LayoutMorphs) should align with the space
> > descriptions beneath them but they do not.
> >
> > If in Construction>>showSeasons the StringMorph contents are set to
> > '' then the colored rectangles align.
> >
> > Color me puzzled.
>
> Those changes were to honor the minimum extent required by some
> morph, even if that meant not honoring the proportional layout
> correctly. The bug was doing that always, even if there is enough
> room to honor the proportions.
>
> Please review and try the attach. If this looks reasonable, and
> doesn't break stuff, we'll integrate (and also implement the same for
> column layouts).
>
> Thanks,

OK, Construction is back to normal. Thanks very much!

Next, please take a look at the attached, where a LayoutMorph insists on
an extent of 50 at 40. I'm trying to center a StringMorph within a
BorderedRectMorph. The structure I'm aiming for is:

SystemWindow
    layoutMorph (colored)
        BorderedRectMorph (transparent)
            LayoutMorph (50 at 40 (why?), colored; to be transparent later)
                StringMorph

Thanks,
 - Dan