[Cuis-dev] 3D cubes in Cuis (also, cubing)

Casey Ransberger bahweep at icloud.com
Thu Aug 20 01:13:49 PDT 2020

I’ve been cubing again lately. Manages my stress well. In my head I’ve been concocting a program to help me practice (cube) algorithms, and also to serve as a database of the (cube) algorithms I use.

I’d like to do the cube UI in 3D, but I’m not a 3D graphics guy. The visual requirements are minimal; I just want some flat-shaded polygons with some lighting options and maybe a glow effect (shader?) from time to time. My skills in Blender are non-existent, but I’m confident that I can successfully model a cube with different colored faces;) There’s a temptation to do it all in Smalltalk, but I’d like a high frame-rate, because I have VR aspirations.

Juan seemed to be doing some stuff with the video hardware recently, and I guess I’m mostly wondering what the best way to have a (hopefully abstract) conversation with the video chipset from Cuis is.

And also whether or not there’s anyone else here who likes twisty puzzles:)

—Casey