[Cuis-dev] Let’s change everything

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Sat Aug 29 18:22:29 PDT 2020

On 8/29/2020 3:35 AM, Casey Ransberger via Cuis-dev wrote:
> Hey Juan!
>
> You were doing some stuff experimentally with the video hardware everyone has in their pants now.

Well, I guess you refer to OpenCL. But OpenCL (a C like language for
doing numerical computation) has no relation to OpenGL (the most common
API for 3D graphics).

> I *really* want to create a sort of holiday for people who love twisty puzzles, starting with the classic Rubik’s Cube. Like, I have a few algorithms that I’m focused on memorizing, but other people should be able to chase their own algorithms.
>
> I’d love to help create a dictionary of speedcubing algorithms and all you have to do if you want access to a community-built set of hard-earned algorithms, is just read and participate.
>
> I want some 3D graphics in Cuis, but we don’t need much: just enough to make use the platform that every speedcuber resorts to when everything else has gone to hell in a hand basket. Just a way to think about what went wrong while you were landing the world record.
>
> I know that your focus is vector graphics, but there are some 3d things I think we need to at least think about.
>
> I’m going to be the fiercest human who ever defended cubing as a legit sport.
>
> Here comes my name!
>
> —Casey

I think 3D is very interesting and I'd love to see more activity on it.
Your idea sonds neat! But I can't really help you. I never did 3D, and I
can't really start studying a new field right now.

I suggest taking a good look at https://github.com/pbella/Cuis-OpenGL
and https://github.com/len/RayTracer . Phil, Luciano, any comment on
Casey's project?