[Cuis-dev] [RFI] Environments are Ready For Integration

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Tue Dec 1 08:10:48 PST 2020

On 11/29/2020 12:04 PM, Gerald Klix via Cuis-dev wrote:
> Hi Juan,
>
> is there any chance to get this integrated in the foreseeable future;
> e.g. 4 weeks or so?
>

> Best Reagrds
>
> Gerald
>

> On 2020-11-02 21:40, Gerald Klix via Cuis-dev wrote:
>> Hi all, Hi Juan,
>>
>> my change set, that prepares Cuis for environment integration is
>> ready for integration.
>>
>> I tested it over the
>> last 3 days, without any environment implementation installed. It
>> worked without
>> errors.
>>
>> The git repo is here:
>> https://gitlab.com/klgcuisstuff/environments
>>
>> There is also an Erudite based documentation.
>>

>> Thanks and Best Regards,
>>
>> Gerald

Hi Gerald,

These changes are rather large and modify Cuis in a lot of places. Most
of them are specific to namespaces, and nobody used them as the
interface to implement any of the alternative takes on namespaces that
were discussed. Therefore we have no validation on how general they
might be. So, so far, they are specific to your namespaces
implementation. Besides, aside from good discussion, nobody else in the
community seems to be working on namespaces or willing to adopt them for
their projects. There were voices against namespaces, that I read as
"any complexity added to the base image is downside, upside is zero".

Some time ago, in the context of that discussion, I described an
approach to namespaces that I'd really like. It is here:
https://lists.cuis.st/mailman/archives/cuis-dev/2020-April/001377.html .
It is what (I believe) Python and JavaScript are doing. It doesn't seem
to me that the changes you suggest would be useful in such approach, as
there would not be need for a special "denoting expression".

At this point in time it is hard to evaluate the potential upside of
integrating your changes, while the extra complexity for a system that
doesn't support namespaces is quite apparent.

Until this changes, I think it is best to keep your changes separate
from the base image, to be installed when installing your implementation
of namespaces, or working on an alternative one.