[Cuis-dev] [RFI] Environments are Ready For Integration

Gerald Klix cuis.01 at klix.ch
Fri Dec 4 03:24:41 PST 2020

On 2020-12-01 17:10, Juan Vuletich wrote:
> On 11/29/2020 12:04 PM, Gerald Klix via Cuis-dev wrote:
>> Hi Juan,
>>
>> is there any chance to get this integrated in the foreseeable future;
>> e.g. 4 weeks or so?
>>

>> Best Reagrds
>>
>> Gerald
>>

>> On 2020-11-02 21:40, Gerald Klix via Cuis-dev wrote:
>>> Hi all, Hi Juan,
>>>
>>> my change set, that prepares Cuis for environment integration is
>>> ready for integration.
>>>
>>> I tested it over the
>>> last 3 days, without any environment implementation installed. It
>>> worked without
>>> errors.
>>>
>>> The git repo is here:
>>> https://gitlab.com/klgcuisstuff/environments
>>>
>>> There is also an Erudite based documentation.
>>>

>>> Thanks and Best Regards,
>>>
>>> Gerald
>
> Hi Gerald,
>
> These changes are rather large and modify Cuis in a lot of places. Most
> of them are specific to namespaces, and nobody used them as the
> interface to implement any of the alternative takes on namespaces that
> were discussed. Therefore we have no validation on how general they
> might be. So, so far, they are specific to your namespaces
> implementation. Besides, aside from good discussion, nobody else in the
> community seems to be working on namespaces or willing to adopt them for
> their projects. There were voices against namespaces, that I read as
> "any complexity added to the base image is downside, upside is zero".
IC,ironically Cuis' strive for simplicity made all of this added
complexity possible. I don't see a chance to achieve the same with Pharo
or Squeak. So yes, I understand this point.

> Some time ago, in the context of that discussion, I described an
> approach to namespaces that I'd really like. It is here:
> https://lists.cuis.st/mailman/archives/cuis-dev/2020-April/001377.html .
> It is what (I believe) Python and JavaScript are doing. It doesn't seem
> to me that the changes you suggest would be useful in such approach, as
> there would not be need for a special "denoting expression".
I can not comment on JavaScript's modules, however I have done several
custom module importers for Python (e.g. loading modules over an RPC
library)... In a nutshell: What I have in mind is something like
python's module system,
with better explicit exports and better integration with the
package-management-system.

Concerning `denoting expressions`, see this PEP:
https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3155/

What you can learn from this PEP is:
It's hard to get this right from the
(very) beginning. This denotingExpression stuff
is a bit of a clutch, I am inclined to delegate
the whole ClassDescription>>#definition to the meta-class.

> At this point in time it is hard to evaluate the potential upside of
> integrating your changes, while the extra complexity for a system that
> doesn't support namespaces is quite apparent.
Yes apparently it is a solution for a problem, only I have or consider
important.

> Until this changes, I think it is best to keep your changes separate
> from the base image, to be installed when installing your implementation
> of namespaces, or working on an alternative one.
Agreed! In the last 9 weeks most of the methods
I patched were not changed, this gives me hope that it remains this way.

Thanks and Best Regards,

Gerald