[Cuis-dev] Changes not recoverable

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Thu Dec 10 08:06:37 PST 2020

On 12/10/2020 6:08 AM, Hilaire Fernandes via Cuis-dev wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I found out change log are not recoverable when you quit Cuis without
> saving. Is it only recoverable when the image crash?
>
> What's wrong in the scenario described in the book section below?
>
> https://cuis-smalltalk.github.io/TheCuisBook/The-Change-Log.html
>
> Thanks for any insight
>
> Hilaire
>
> Le 08/12/2020 à 12:46, H. Fernandes a écrit :
>> Hi,
>>
>> I opened an issue about it:https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev/issues/179
>>
>> Or is changes not recoverable in Cuis? Or do I miss something else?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Hilaire
>> --
>> Dr. Geo --http://drgeo.eu
> --
> GNU Dr. Geo
> http://drgeo.eu
> https://pouet.chapril.org/@hilaire

Hi Hilaire,

The .changes file includes all the code that was loaded into the image.
This (obviously) includes code for Cuis updates and any packages you
install. This makes recovering changes by hand harder. But each time you
start Cuis and make changes, another file is created, named, for example
Cuis5.0-4426.user.changes. If the file already exists, it gets renamed.
So, for each session, you get files Cuis5.0-4426.user.xxx.changes where
xxx is a number, starting with 001. Those files don't include installed
changesets or packages, just user entered code. And you have a file for
each session. This makes recovery more convenient. I prefer them to the
recovery tools based on the regular .changes file.

Having these additional files for user changes made it possible to
discard the modifications to the regular .changes file on image exit. As
the image is not saved, these changes are not needed anymore. This
prevents the .changes file to grow too much, and it also means that the
.changes file is not marked dirty by Git.

We'd rewrite the changes recovery tools to use the *.user.???.changes
files instead.

HTH