[Cuis-dev] Deeper into Cuis

ken.dickey at whidbey.com ken.dickey at whidbey.com
Sat Dec 26 08:08:38 PST 2020

On 2020-12-26 03:44, giorgio ferraris via Cuis-dev wrote:

> What is, as of today, the role of Smalltalk (or Cuis in particular,
> because other Smalltalks cover, at least in some way, the problems I
> will mention)?. The world where I live needs at least two things to
> make a programming language/development system useful:
>
> * web capabilities (I just need to expose REST API or GraphQL API)
> * data-base capabilities (I just need a place for persisting my data,
> Postgres? Mongo? etc)
>
> None of these are mentioned in the book (or I didn't find them). Could
> this be a problem for someone wanting to embrace Cuis? Or the target
> for Cuis users is limited to desktop self contained applications?
> I know you can try to check the different repositories, but some basic
> chapters on these 2 items could help.
> These are just my 2 cents...

TheCuisBook is an _introduction_.

It is meant to be large enough to have "something to chew on", but small
enough to be digestible.

We have been talking about "the next version" already, but think this
close enough to be useful.

I am starting a list of topics for a _Deeper into Cuis_ follow on.

No promises, books are an semi-infinite time sink. ;^)

Possible additions to the above (in no particular order):

- Class hierarchy, Class as instance, metaClasses, metaProgrmming,
Refactoring tools.
- Layouts, Color, Menus, PopUps, Fonts & Text, Browser building.
- Filesystem, networking, streams & sockets.
- Processes, multithreading, timers, animation.
- <other suggestions>

One challenge is picking one or more good example projects.  Something
large enough to be interesting and useful, but small enough to be
comprehensible and be redeveloped in a time frame less than 'years'.

Please think about your favorite projects and what topics they might
cover.  How would you present them?

Hey, you might be one of the next group of authors!   :)

But for now, please read thoughtfully, think of novices, and let us rest
a bit.

All kudos to Hilaire for driving this project!

$0.02,
-KenD