[Cuis-dev] [off-topic] Invite codes...

Phil B pbpublist at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 16:46:12 PST 2020

Seemed like there might be some here who might be interested in this so
doing a quick post...

I've recently started using a service called LBRY which is a small
peer-to-peer YouTube-like video sharing service which is trying to get away
from the advertising business model for video.  A few reasons why I like it:

1) No ads.
2) Being (mostly) peer-to-peer, you can download  content (original video
files, no DRM) to your computer rather than stream it.
3) Because of 2, the video quality is outstanding.  Great for screencasts.

The only real downside I've noticed is that it is still relatively
small/new so doesn't have anywhere near the number of content creators on
it that YouTube does.  It would be cool to see Cuis users, and Smalltalkers
more generally, start publishing to it!

Anyway, they're currently doing a promotion to attract new users where
they'll send some bonus LBC (the cryptocurrency you use to 'tip' video
creators) our way.  There's no fee to use the service but you do have to
register... it's quite mild compared to virtually every other service I've
had to register for.  If you're interested, send me an email and I'll send
you an invite.

Thanks,
Phil