[Cuis-dev] The other way to do namespaces

Thierry Goubier thierry.goubier at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 05:05:37 PDT 2020

Le mer. 1 juil. 2020 à 13:31, Douglas Brebner via Cuis-dev
<cuis-dev at lists.cuis.st> a écrit :

> On 01/07/2020 10:15, Thierry Goubier via Cuis-dev wrote:
> >
> > To compare with: connecting as one multiple images (processes) with
> > each containing one such package.
> >
> > The second one would allow scaling to hundreds or thousands of CPUs /
> > core, if needed. Aka better than the ROAR VM, in my opinion, which
> > rely on shared memory to distribute (but one could use a DSM, like the
> > one we are using in my lab... well, S-DSM really).
> >

> I really like this idea. Similar to my idea of Images as Actors.

Yes. I do believe this would scale in interesting ways for Cuis: first
to handle multi-window apps (one actor/image/process per window), and
then large scale distributed processing (by applying an appropriate
model of computation such as a dataflow, or chemical programming).

At the same time, you sidestep the difficulties linked with true
threading in Cog and Cuis.

Thierry