[Cuis-dev] Fwd: 2 (no, 3) GUI file-ins for your amusement

Luciano Notarfrancesco luchiano at gmail.com
Sat Jul 11 23:49:45 PDT 2020

Hi Stephen,
Interesting ideas. I filed in the chagesets in a fully updated Cuis image
and noticed some problems:
1) The left scrollbar changeset produces an artifact that shows as a blue
vertical line on the right when the widget is in focus. Also, although when
I saw your post I thought having the scrollbar on the left makes more
sense, after trying it I realized this has the side effect of wasting some
space: when the scrollbar is not visible because for example a list has
only few items the space where the scrollbar would appear is wasted and
appears as a blank space in the left of the list. This could be "fixed" by
moving the items to the left when the scrollbar is not visible, but I don't
like this either... anyway it is a preference, and I'd have to use it more
to decide which why I like it more.
2) The second list in the package browser shows items prefixed with a '-'
that probably shouldn't be there.
3) The third changeset contains a class method in TheWorldMenu without
selector, not sure how that happened.

Have you considered using a single tree for the package browser instead of
two lists? Some time ago I implemented this for the Browser. I had to make
some changes to HierarchicalListMorph and ListItemWrapper in order to
support trees with multiple roots (as in this case you would have a root
per package or per first word of a system category). My idea was to use
this to show namespaces, displaying the root item as '[VectorGraphics]'
instead of 'VectorGraphics' for example.