[Cuis-dev] Politics of Smalltalk

Phil B pbpublist at gmail.com
Sat Jun 13 12:41:32 PDT 2020

The Smalltalk community is among the *least* political of any tech
community I've seen.  Even things like copyright which are the subject of
endless debate in other communities is only barely acknowledged  (to the
extent that it's generally disliked that they have to deal with it.)  Codes
of Conduct?  Nope, people just generally try to be nice to each other.  I
think a lot of that comes from Alan and Dan's leadership in the early days
of both Smalltalk and Squeak and the type of people that gravitated toward
them... they had a mission, but it wasn't political at all.  If I had to
describe the average Smalltalker, 'idealist' comes to mind.