[Cuis-dev] Dynabook and education

Hernan Wilkinson hernan.wilkinson at 10pines.com
Mon Jun 15 14:51:36 PDT 2020

Hi Hilaire,
 what you say in your post, that constructivism focuses on the children and
not the teacher, is a criticism I read a few months ago about Logo and
Papert's ideas, and I think they are about right. (paper: Hackers,
Computers, and Cooperation:
A Critical History of Logo and Constructionist Learning)
 The "solution" must include both, the children and the teachers... Maybe
focusing more on the teachers will help the childrens?
 Also, not all children share the same interest about science, art, reading
and so on, so it is difficult to think of a solution for all... for
example, I'm not sure that teaching programming to all kids is a good idea,
it looks nice in theory but I remember when we had programming classes at
high school, 99% of the students did not care about it, did not understand
it, did not like it at all... the same with math for some group of kids or
biology for another group and so on.
 I think sometimes we think a solution for all and that may not exist, and
sometimes I also think we are a little bit naive about what teachers and
students want...
 Just a few words to add confusion to the matter :-)

Cheers!
Hernan.

*Phone: +54-011*-4893-2057
*Twitter: @HernanWilkinson*