[Cuis-dev] Dynabook and education

Hilaire Fernandes hilaire at drgeo.eu
Wed Jun 17 03:17:51 PDT 2020

Le 16/06/2020 à 17:12, Juan Vuletich a écrit :

>> The software part is important and it can be built right now, in a
>> portable way.  But the hardware part is as much important.
>>

> I usually focus more on the software part, just because it is where
> Cuis might be relevant and is where we can help the most. It can be
> built now, but we are still rather far from it

Yes, there are several building blocs we can start to think about as --
in no preference order:

- *namespace* for safe installation of applications/bundles,

- *sandbox environment* for safe execution of applications/bundles,

- *vectorial widgets* to build an environment with a rendering quality
as close as possible to the quality of the school physical tools,

- *application framework* (MVC, MVP, Morph?) with ad-hoc design pattern
to ease the development of third party applications/bundles,

- and likely many more my ignorance does not know about, but you can
insert it here bellow!

As we can see these building blocs are of general interest.

> not. And in these months of social isolation in Buenos Aires, they
> have online classes using Zoom, and
[...]
> A lot of transition to digital is going on.
>
> Still, both hardware and software need to get much better. No doubt on
> that.

I was also giving distance course in Geneva. We have Moodle and
Classrooms, the technical struggle was so immense.

In some situation, the kids could type in a Google Doc I prepared with
exercises, as long as they had access to a computer it was not that
difficult. Classroom handles to me their works so I could review it
quite easily and type in comments.

In other situation the kids wrote in their textbook or workbook, then
they scanned or most of the time took a picture with the phone and
attached it to their classroom assignment.

Truly Google classroom made the process easier and not too much
technical (compare to Moodle). But a Dynabook in the form of a A4 size
workbook would have make the process much more transparent, particularly
when you can write with a pen.

Hilaire

--
GNU Dr. Geo