[Cuis-dev] Dynabook and education

Hilaire Fernandes hilaire at drgeo.eu
Wed Jun 17 03:58:39 PDT 2020

Le 17/06/2020 à 12:44, Douglas Brebner via Cuis-dev a écrit :
> On 17/06/2020 11:17, Hilaire Fernandes via Cuis-dev wrote:
>> - *namespace* for safe installation of applications/bundles,
>>
>> - *sandbox environment* for safe execution of applications/bundles,
>>
> I've recently been thinking of some kind of Actors in the form on
> sub-images or mini images ran in parallel that may be a way to handle
> those cleanly.
>
> Inspired somewhat by Alan Kays comment about how the computer should
> be split into smaller computers. Objects don't quite have the
> properties to be that (due to Process) but the Image *does*.

Oh yes this is wise. Even stronger, we do not have the choice given the
single thread nature of the VM, it will be a waste of resources to not
have several image running in parallel. I vaguely know that there are
inter process protocol for communication between process (IPC). Should
it be fast enough for communication between applications deployed in
different images?

Likely a Dynabook will be based on ARM architecture. The A64 SoC shipped
with Pine64[1] comes with 6 cores! Using only one will be a waste of
resources.

Hilaire

[1] https://www.pine64.org/

--