[Cuis-dev] Dynabook and education

Philip Bernhart philip.bernhart at posteo.de
Sat Jun 20 02:41:28 PDT 2020

Hi Hilaire,

Hilaire Fernandes via Cuis-dev <cuis-dev at lists.cuis.st> writes:

> Hi Philip,
>
> Can you write down an example, a scenario of what you are describing?
> And how it is different on how things are?
>
> It will be easier for me to understand your though.

I meant that in response to your thought the general design of images /
objects:

> Oh yes this is wise. Even stronger, we do not have the choice given the
> single thread nature of the VM, it will be a waste of resources to not
> have several image running in parallel. I vaguely know that there are
> inter process protocol for communication between process (IPC). Should
> it be fast enough for communication between applications deployed in
> different images?

In this context I think objects should be as powerful or powerless as an
Image. They both should be objects in the same regard. And when it comes
to my preferences I think an actor based system would be an improvement,
not putting the Images on different cores but putting the objects
themselves on different cores.

On the other hand I'm not bringing real knowledge about such systems to
the table.

And in the general thinking of mine I was referrering to the notion,
that we humans tend to build a better now and not a better future.
For example Alan Kay brought up the example of better horse carriage
in the times of the automobile invention. It would not be the car which
people wanted, but better horse carriages. Or in the time of Xerox not
a Personal Computer, but just better Paper. Which is also, when you
watch Alan Kay talks a frequent topic.

Nothing more, I'm not bringing much more to the table than previous
ones did.

Cheers,
Philip