[Cuis-dev] FYI: Cuis on Aarch64 and fixes for current on Amd64

ken.dickey at whidbey.com ken.dickey at whidbey.com
Fri Jun 26 11:56:34 PDT 2020

On 2020-06-26 10:04, Eric Gade wrote:

> Do you have a specific set of instructions that you follow for
> compiling the aarch64 cog? Are you cross-compiling or doing it on
> aarch64 hardware? The last time I tried to get this to compile I ran
> into errors that I couldn't understand (beyond my level).

OK.  From memory.. (such as it is)

I am using a Raspberry Pi 4 or a Chromebook II, each with Aarch64/arm64
Linux.

You need a squeak VM on aarch64 to run VMMaker.

I did a git clone of the OPenSmalltalk repo.

Then built the stack VM as noted in Bruce's previous email.

Then went to the OpenSmalltalk 'image' directory and ran the
   buildspurtrunkvmmaker64image.sh
script with the
   -vm `which squeak`
to use the stack VM to create a VMMaker image.  [Takes a long time]

Then I used VMMaker image to generate the 64 bit Cog sorce code in the
Source Generation Workspace.

[VMMaker generateSqueakSpur64CogVM] valueSupplyingAnswer: false.

Then cd to
~/OpenSmalltalk/oscogvm/build.linux64ARMv8/squeak.cog.spur/build

and ran the
   ./mvm
answering Y(es).

test the result in
   ~/OpenSmalltalk/oscogvm/products/sqspur64ARMv8linuxht

Then
   sudo cp * /usr/local/lib
in the above directory and just use it.

Again, aside from bignums, I have had no problems so far.

Let me know what I forgot.

Good luck!
-KenD