[Cuis-dev] FYI: Cuis on Aarch64 and fixes for current on Amd64

Eric Gade eric.gade at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 10:04:45 PDT 2020

Hi Ken,

Do you have a specific set of instructions that you follow for compiling
the aarch64 cog? Are you cross-compiling or doing it on aarch64 hardware?
The last time I tried to get this to compile I ran into errors that I
couldn't understand (beyond my level).

I am asking, in part, because I was a backer of the MNT Reform laptop
<https://www.crowdsupply.com/mnt/reform>, and I'm really hoping to be able
to use Opensmalltalk based systems on it.

On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 10:14 AM ken.dickey--- via Cuis-dev <
cuis-dev at lists.cuis.st> wrote:

> Bruce,
>
> Thanks for the reminder.
>
> The aarch64 OpenSmalltalk Cog currently has broken bignums (the lest
> time I checked, 100 factorial yielded a negative number).  But aside
> from bignums it is quite usable.
>
> Probably best to use the stack interpreter for now, but I have been
> using the arm64 Cog vm for some time without problems.  I don't make
> much daily use of bignums and the JIT is quite snappy.
>
> FYI,
> -KenD
>
> On 2020-06-26 05:54, Bruce O'Neel wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > The build instructions for the stack spur VM for ArmV8 are very simple.
> >
> > cd build.linux64ARMv8/squeak.stack.spur/
> > ./makeallclean
> > mv build squeak
> >
> > Cuis works just fine on an Arm64 bit system then.
> >
> > Elliot is working very hard on the Cog JIT for this system, but, it is
> > not done.   But the Stack VM works just fine but a bit slower.
> >
> > cheers
> >
> > bruce

Eric